PN Junction Diode Applications:
An ideal PN Junction Diode Applications is a two terminal polarity sensitive device that has zero resistance (i.e., diode conducts) when it is forward biased and infinite resistance (i.e., diode does not conduct) when reverse biased. Because of this property the diode finds use in many applications as enumerated below :
- As rectifiers in dc power supplies.
- In demodulation or detector circuits.
- In clamping networks employed as dc restorers in TV receivers and voltage multipliers.
- In clipping circuits used as wave shaping circuits in computers, radars, radio and TV receivers.
- As switches in digital logic circuits.
The same PN Junction Diode Applications with different doping concentrations are as follows :
- As zener diodes in voltage regulators, peak clippers, and in switching operation.
- As tunnel diodes as a relaxation oscillator at microwave frequencies.
- As light-emitting diodes (LEDs) in digital displays.
- As LASER diodes in optical communications.
- As varactor diodes in tuning sections of radio and TV receivers.
- As detectors (PIN photodiode) in optical communication circuits.