Transmission and Distribution Important Questions and Answers:
1. List out the advantages of high voltage A.C. transmission.
- The maintenance of ac substations is easy and cheaper.
- The ac voltage can be stepped up or stepped down by transformers with ease and efficiency. This permits to transmit power at high voltages.
- The line losses are less.
2. What is meant by Ferranti effect?
A long transmission line draws a substantial quantity of charging current. If such a line is open circuited or very lightly loaded at the receiving end, the voltage at the receiving end may become higher than the voltage at sending end. This is known as Ferranti effect.
3. What are the methods of grading of cables?
- Intersheath grading
- Capacitance grading.