Electrical Machines 2 Important Questions and Answers:
1. What do you mean by single layer and double layer winding?
- Single Layer Winding: It has a slot with one coil side. To get maximum emf coil span should be equal to one pole pitch.
- Double Layer Winding: It has 2 coil sides per slot, one at bottom and one at top of the winding. Number of stator slots = number of coils.
2. What are the various function of damper winding provided with alternator?
Functions of Damper Windings are
- It is used to prevent hunting (momentary speed fluctuations). It is used to dampout the oscillation when generator starts hunting.
- It is used to suppress the negative sequence field.
3. What is a synchronous capacitor?
When the synchronous motor operates on no-load, it acts as a static capacitor and hence under the this condition motor is called as synchronous condenser (or) synchronous capacitor. It is mainly used for power factor correction.